Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday in Florence

...or as the Italians say: Firenze.

First of all, let me wish a very Happy Birthday to my sister Louise.  Hope you had a wonderful birthday.  Here's a picture of Jackie and me singing Happy Birthday to you.


Last full day in Tuscany.  We decided to drive into Florence for a visit.

Florence is a big city, which is a switch after all the nice Tuscan villages we've been visiting.  Walking around the historic centre of town, there are certainly some very impressive monuments and buildings.  Here are a few.




Florence is also all about museums.  The most popular are the Uffizi, which houses many very famous paintings, most notably from Botticelli, and the Galleria dell'Accademia, which houses the star of Florence - David.


For the record, I did not take that photo, since photos are strictly forbidden inside the Accademia.  Out of respect for my fellow travellers, I will not reveal the source of this illegal photo - but thanks for sharing.

I did however, take this photo.


That's the fake David.  He's outside where the original David used to be.  It is an exact replica of the original, and stands out in a square for all to see, and photograph.

A few more shots of beautiful statues that adorn that square...



Short, and sweet visit to Florence...  sweet because I had gelato, canoli, biscotti and a bite of each of Jackie's and Wardie's cake.  Good think I'm doing a lot of walking around.

Last night, we went for a nice dinner in a good restaurant to celebrate our last night in Tuscany.  Today, we have a long 5-ish hour drive to Fondi - south of Rome.  

Goodbye from Tuscany.

No comments:

Post a Comment